All Pumps Sales & Service provided the coal seam gas plant with an Ex D rated pump system designed to function in hazardous areas.
An energy company required a dewatering pump to move water produced during coal seam gas mining.
The water from the mine was collected in an above ground vertical concrete tank with nozzles at the top.
The pump had to be at ground level, which is a major challenge because the pump needs to work with low or negative Net Positive Suction Head (NPSH).
IN AUSTRALIA, COAL IS THE DOMINANT FORM OF ENERGY PRODUCTION.
In regards to the duty of the pump, it was required to have the following capabilities:
- To work on two (2) separate duty heads at the same flow rate.
- This allows the system to pump out water to two (2) separate locations.
- All electrical instrumentation and the motor had to be Ex d rated to meet the mine specifications.
- In order to protect the pumps life, the client also requested for a control logic. With this, the pump may stop on:
- High temperature,
- High discharge pressure,
- and/or Low suction pressure.
All Pumps Sales & Service provided the energy company a complete solution.
The pump system is composed of an auto-prime centrifugal pump coupled to an Ex d motor along with Ex d instrumentation, and a control panel with a variable speed drive (VSD) installed in a non-hazardous area.
DUE TO THE FLAMMABLE NATURE OF SOME MINE GASES, IT IS IMPORTANT TO HAVE EX D RATED EQUIPMENT TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF YOUR STAFF.
To be compatible with the water produced in coal seal gas application, the pump system was designed according to these specifications:
- All suction and discharge pipeworks were fabricated in 316 Stainless Steel,
- 316 stainless steel is poor conductor and is less prone to corrosion.
- Suction pipework includes the negative pressure transducer and butterfly valve,
- Discharge pipework included gauge pressure transducer and temperature sensor,
- All instrumentation supplied were Ex d rated.
- The pump system was tested to comply with the control logic.
The project was despatched within the required time, and a complete manufacturer’s data report (MDR) along with all relevant certificates and ITP’s was provided to the client for documentation.
Project Highlights - Ex D Rated Pumps Coal Seem Gas Mine
- Allpumps fabricated a pump system designed to be Ex d rated.
- The pump system followed the required Control Logic:
- The pump operates on the variable speed drive (VSD) installed inside the control panel, in order to keep the two separate duty heads at the same flow rate,
- The control panel was programmed for pump stop upon detecting high water temperature or low pressure at pump suction side or high pressure at pump discharge.
- The project was despatched within the required time.
About Ex D (IEC 90079-1:2014):
International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) 60079-1:2014 contains specific requirements for the construction and testing of electrical equipment with the type of protection flameproof enclosure “d”, intended for use in explosive gas atmospheres.