Pumps for moving slurries should be heavy-duty and capable of moving heavy viscous and difficult fluids that come with solids. They are larger in size than the typical pumps used in other applications and they are specified with higher horsepower rating. They are commonly built using stainless steel and their bearings and shafts are more rugged than those found in other pumps.
Slurry Pump Types and Design Features
Both centrifugal and positive displacement pumps can be used in slurry pumping. However, the latter is the more commonly used type in many industries that deal with slurries.
Centrifugal Pumps – Robust Construction for Handling Abrasives
Centrifugal slurry pumps carry features that are optimized for moving heavy viscous and solid-laden fluids. To site, a centrifugal slurry pump has:
- Larger impellers with more materials than the standard size for standard pumps to compensate for wear caused by abrasive slurries.
- Fewer (typically 2-5) but thicker impeller vanes to allow the passage of solids more readily.
- Some models are being made from alloys like Hastelloy® C-22® or AL-6XN® while some others are hardened further using Expanite and Armoly to pump abrasive slurries.
Positive Displacement Pumps – Efficient Pumping of Thick Fluids
PD pumps are also used for pumping certain slurries at certain conditions where centrifugal pumps are not the appropriate choice.
These conditions include:
- Slower slurry flow rate
- High head requirement
- When the application needs greater efficiency that centrifugal pumps cannot deliver
- Improved flow control
The common positive displacement pumps used for slurry pumping include:
- Rotary Lobe Pumps – lobes pumps are efficient in pumping viscous and solid-laded fluids
- Twin Screw Pumps – screw pumps are another type that can move viscous fluids without issues
- Diaphragm Pumps – use flexible membrane and valves to allow the smooth flow of viscous fluids from the inlet to the outlet
In need of a slurry pump?
Brands we Sell, Stock & Service
Low Capital Investment For A Better Pumping Experience
SlurryPro originated from a firm belief that your slurry pump experience could and should be better. In response to industry feedback and frustration with service and response times, SlurryPro Pumps has introduced a range of heavy duty centrifugal slurry pumps that are designed for the continuous pumping of highly abrasive, high-density slurries with minimal maintenance requirements. Ideal for the toughest pumping situations in the mining and other heavy industries.
The SlurryPro Advantage
SlurrPro pumps use deep sealing vanes on the front and back of the impellers to reduce seal pressure and internal recirculation, thus improving the MBTF of the equipment. The cast iron split outer casing provides structural integrity and high operating pressure capability.
The range features mechanical seals and a large diameter expeller to avoid water flushing. Additionally, it uses a robust one-piece casting that cradles the bearing cartridge assembly and also supports the pump wet end using a minimum number of through bolts.
Accessories are available to optimize the functionality of the pump. These include drain plug with FPT, automatic greasers, and sliding base.
SlurryPro comes in two type: the Silver series and the Diamond series. Still unsure? Talk to one of our pump experts about the SlurryPro pump range or click HERE to know if one of their slurry pumps is the right fit for your system.
Tsurumi has the capacity to build over 1.4 million pumps per year. With Japanese quality, a huge range, an unbeatable value in dewatering, and sewage submersible pumps and waste water equipment; Tsurumi pumps are seen as global leaders.
- Unbeatable Range … Dewatering and industrial submersible pumps with over 1800 models.
- Innovative design … key features that enhance pump longevity and performance. Pumps deliver life cycle costs significantly below the industry average.
- Quality guarantee … Tsurumi’s efficient, state of the art manufacturing facilities ensure the highest quality at the best possible price.
Tsurumi Pump was founded in 1924 in Osaka, Japan. Then, in the 1960’s, Tsurumi introduced its overseas strategy. Tsurumi’s technical capabilities first gained recognition in Asia in the 1970’s, and then in the United States and Europe short thereafter. This led to the official opening of Tsurumi America, Inc. in 1979.
Dedicated Slurry Pumps for Heavy Industries – No Breaks. Less Maintenance.
Wasting so much time, energy, and money on changing pumps in your mill plant over and over again? Maybe it’s time to change brands and stick with long-lasting solutions that are specially engineered for heavy industries.
Warman® is a well-recognized brand in the mining and chemical industries for its quality build and unfailing performance. It boasts over eight decades of bringing pumping solutions to tough fluid and solid transfer applications in the mining, chemical, water treatment, pulp and paper, gravel, and other industries dealing with high density and abrasive materials.
Some of the benefits of having a Warman® in your system include a power equipment that’s made to last, needs less maintenance, require low capital cost, and performs outstandingly amidst handling different types of fluids.
The World’s Standard For Slurry Pumps Since The 1930s
Discover your Warman® pump options at All Pumps. We have a comprehensive collection of centrifugal slurry pumps for heavy industrial applications including mining and chemical.
Warman® Slurry Pump Range features 5 series. Get in touch with an All Pumps expert or READ HERE to find the right Warman® equipment that will do the job.